Dnipro, earlier (1783– 96, 1802– 1926) Katerynoslav, or Ekaterinoslav, (1796– 1802) Novorossiysk, and (1926– 2016) Dnipropetrovsk, city, south-focal Ukraine. It lies along the Dnieper River, close to its juncture with the Samara. The stream was significantly enlarged by the development of a damn around 50 miles (80 km) downstream. Established in 1783 as Katerynoslav on the waterway’s north bank, the settlement was moved to its present site on the south bank in 1786. The people group was known as Novorossiysk from 1796 to 1802 when its old name was re-established and it turned into a commonplace focus. Notwithstanding the crossing over of the Dnieper in 1796 and the development of exchange the mid nineteenth century, Katerynoslav stayed little until the point when industrialization started in the 1880s when railroads were worked to Odessa, the Donets Basin, and Moscow. In 1926 the Soviets renamed it Dnipropetrovsk.